Our HSP Home
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Recommended books for HSPs

+5
uv
Sunflowerpixie
Buckwheat
Luna
Kathi-
9 posters

Go down

Recommended books for HSPs Empty Recommended books for HSPs

Post by Kathi- Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:52 pm

In addition to anything by Elaine Aron, I recommend these books that I have found helpful. Hope I am remembering all the authors and titles correctly.

1. Forgive for Good, by Fred Luskin (for anyone having trouble 'moving past' a hurtful event)

2. Making Work Work for the Highly Sensitive Person, by Dr. Barrie Jaeger (particularly chapter 9)

3. Trusting Yourself, by M.J. Ryan (small book with short inspiring chapters)

4. Feeling Good, the Feeling Good Handbook, by David Burns (cognitive behavioral therapy)

5. The Power of Now, by Eckhart Tolle (also, A New Earth, same author)
Kathi-
Kathi-
Admin

Back to top Go down

Recommended books for HSPs Empty Re: Recommended books for HSPs

Post by Luna Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:52 am

Great list! I definitely agree about 2, 4 and 5! I will have to look into the others. I found The Undervalued Self by Elaine Aron helpful as well (along with her HSP books of course!)

Last edited by Luna on Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Luna
Luna
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathi- Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:00 pm

Yep, I like that one too. It's on my nightstand, along with a bunch of others.

Anyone else read something good lately? Doesn't have to be about HSPs, could just be something that would be of interest to someone who is HSP.
Kathi-
Kathi-
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Buckwheat Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:40 pm

Kathi- wrote:Anyone else read something good lately? Doesn't have to be about HSPs, could just be something that would be of interest to someone who is HSP.

You know I love "Full Catastrophe Living" by Jon Kabat Zinn. I also love the power of now.

I loved this book, picked it up by accident.
The Mind and the Brain: Neuroplasticity and the Power of Mental Force [Paperback]
Jeffrey M. Schwartz
Jeffrey M. Schwartz (Author)
Buckwheat
Buckwheat

Back to top Go down

Post by Sunflowerpixie Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:46 am

'The Introvert Advantage' by Marti Olsen Laney
'Let go your past and live' by Avril Carruthers
Sunflowerpixie
Sunflowerpixie

Back to top Go down

Post by uv Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:44 pm

I'd like to add The Dance of Intimacy and/or the Dance of Anger by Harriet Lerner, which are both about changing patterns in difficult relationships. The titles sound hokey but I found these to be extremely insightful read-able books about roles we take on and how we perpetuate situations we don't like, for instance hiding our vulnerability and then resenting that we always have to be the "strong" one, etc. She also talks about things like falling prey to historical patterns in a family which we might not even be consciously aware of. I appreciated her reminders too that sometimes things seem to get worse before they get better because change of long-term patterns causes great anxiety for most of us. These aren't geared to HSPs, except in the sense that many of us have tricky relationships and may be more sensitive to them. I like Lerner because she is smart about complex situations but sympathetic, acknowledging that sometimes the cost of change is too great for some of us. At the same time she won't let you wallow in feeling helpless.

ETA: Also, I know there are a handful of the somewhat more religious among us. So if anyone is interested in some Power of Now type thoughts but might relate to a contemplative religious perspective, I like Richard Rohr's The Naked Now. Each chapter can stand alone as food for thought and meditation.
uv
uv

Back to top Go down

Post by fatkattykat Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:16 pm

I just finished reading the book Quiet. About introverts in a world that cannot stop talking hahaha. It was a lot like the Introvert Advantage, but more up-to-date research. There is even a chapter that features HSP's in the book.
fatkattykat
fatkattykat

Back to top Go down

Post by Luna Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:59 pm

Oh thank you for reminding me of Quiet. It is by Susan Cain I think? I've been wanting to read that for a while. I just requested it at the library. Smile
Luna
Luna
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by wattle Fri Nov 23, 2012 1:11 am

I really like all these suggestions

The one book that would be my "stranded on a deserted island" choice is The Seat of the Soul by Gary Zukav.

Another book I came across recently that has been of value is Let Love Find You, by John Selby.

Stephanie Dowrick has a book called The Universal Heart that has helped me a lot.
wattle
wattle

Back to top Go down

Post by Internalogic (Nigel) Fri Nov 23, 2012 2:19 am

I had not seen this thread before. Will have to look through the memory banks and add some of my own favorites.
Internalogic (Nigel)
Internalogic (Nigel)

Back to top Go down

Post by T1 Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:45 am

Pema Chodron's audio book Unconditional Confidence is really good too - she talks about smiling at fear and describes the tenderness of self-care that develops into bravery and courage. I found it very useful recently whilst going through some scary stuff

T1

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down