Our HSP Home
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Australia Day

4 posters

Go down

Australia Day Empty Australia Day

Post by Sunflowerpixie Sun Jan 26, 2014 12:07 am

It's Australia Day today so I thought I had better fly the flag.  greet The Australian of the year is Adam Goods an aboriginal football player. He does other good works and is involved in trying to stamp out racism.

I made lamingtons for the clients at Meals on Wheels on Friday. They're a bit messy and time consuming but I am glad I did it for something different.
Sunflowerpixie
Sunflowerpixie

Back to top Go down

Australia Day Empty Re: Australia Day

Post by Safari Sun Jan 26, 2014 5:26 am

Happy Australia Day, SFP! Smile A friend of mine who I went to school with has been living in Perth for years, and she posted on Facebook that she just affirmed her Australian citizenship today (although I'm not sure if that actually means she's a legal Australian citizen or not...?)  If so, I think she loses NZ citizenship, possibly.  But she's lucky if she can even become an Australian citizen.  She may well have moved there before the rules changed for NZers in 2001.  It's extremely difficult, now, I believe.  I don't know the ins and outs of it, but I keep seeing things in the news about the experience of NZers over there.  They generally love it, but they are permanently barred from accessing certain services, while Aussies can access everything over here after two years.  I know far more Kiwis go over to Aussie than the other way around, but I fear it may eventually turn nasty.  Neutral
Safari
Safari
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Buckwheat Sun Jan 26, 2014 8:01 am

Sunflowerpixie wrote:It's Australia Day today so I thought I had better fly the flag.  greet The Australian of the year is Adam Goods an aboriginal football player. He does other good works and is involved in trying to stamp out racism.

Happy Australia Day. That is neat that you have a citizen of the year... who did something good.
Buckwheat
Buckwheat

Back to top Go down

Post by Luna Sun Jan 26, 2014 4:13 pm

birthday gift Happy Birthday Australia!! birthday balloons

I hope you had a great day Sunflowerpixie! I remember you posting about lamingtons before and I googled it. They look delicious!
Luna
Luna
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sunflowerpixie Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:16 am

Safari, I don't really know much about the rules for New Zealanders over here either, just what Paul at work said. He is from NZ but has been over here for about 30 years, most of his working life. He was going to become an Australian Citizen too yesterday, but I think he and your friend will have duel citizenship. Paul thought he better do it so he can qualify for the age pension later on. I guess there is some reason why the government changed it but perhaps it will change again. I think pensions will be a thing of the past eventually over here. We all have to be in a Superannuation Fund at work where the employer puts in so much and we can add to it too. They government has also put the retirement age up and I have to work until I'm 67.

Buckwheat, yeah you have to do good works to get the Australia Day award. They always seem to give it to a sportsman though.

Luna, I remember I did post about the lamingtons last year.  Smile They are yummy though and they freeze well. We are having the holiday for it today, Monday as well so a nice break.
Sunflowerpixie
Sunflowerpixie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum